The children brought in family pictures to display throughout the classroom. They love to talk about who is in their pictures and where the pictures were taken (Kings Island! A baseball game!).
Everyone helped to design their own special poster, complete with pictures and facts about them. By discussing information about themselves they can identify things they have in common and differences (example: "He is 4 years old like me!" or "Her favorite color is red but my favorite color is blue.")
|Fun facts about these two friends...their favorite foods include waffles and meatballs!|
They are busy gluing shapes to their posters.
|Adding stickers to his poster. |
He says that he likes the color blue and lives in Ohio.
Ohio Pre-Kindergarten Content Standards met from the above theme include:
- Social Studies (Theme: The Classroom Community)
- History Strand
- Heritage -- Personal family stories and traditions support the understanding of heritage.
- Historical Thinking and Skills -- People develop an awareness of their personal histories.
- Geography Strand
- Human Systems -- People belong to a number of groups and these groups have unique characteristics. Similarities among people are used to define groups.
- English Language Arts
- Reading Standards for Informational Text
- Integration of Knowledge and Ideas -- With prompting and support, identify basic similarities in and differences between two texts on the same topic.