|Testing her first item. |
Will the bottle cap make it into the magnetic column?
The children tested each item with the magnet and decided which column the items belonged in. After sorting the items into one of the two categories they were able to see how many of their items were magnetic and how many were not magnetic.
|The cork, the cotton ball, and the eraser did not stick to the magnet.|
How many non-magnetic items are there? How many magnetic items?
Ohio Pre-Kindergarten Content Standards met from the above activity include:
- Classify objects and count the number of objects in each category.
- Science Inquiry and Application
- Plan and conduct simple investigations
- Employ simple equipment and tools to gather data and extend the senses
- Communicate about observations, investigations and explanations
- Physical Science
- Observations of objects and materials (exploring and describing properties of objects and materials that can be found in nature, classrooms and homes)